Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Pursed Incident

When Lisa headed down to her car to meet her friend for lunch today, she forgot that she had left her credit card in a different purse. Because I have a history of never being able to find anything in even the smallest of her handbags, it made the most sense for me to just bring her whole purse down to the garage after she called requesting plastic delivery.

As the elevator chugged to a halt on the second floor, halfway down my journey to the garage, I realized the sight that whoever came on board would see: me, wearing a white t-shirt, red shorts, and slippers, leaning against the wall with unwashed hair and half-asleep eyes, a gold Coach bag clutched to my side. Sure enough, the lady who came on gave a very subtle double take, her second one lingering on my temporary man-bag. I almost explained the situation, but didn't for fear that excuse making only would make it look weirder. I just kept my lips shut. An awkward silence hung the rest of the ride down.

Why I Am Not Awesome: despite a generally progressive and forward-thinking world view, I still felt a strong desire to explain my non-traditional fashion accessory. I should have felt comfortable enough in my own identity to not even worry about it.

Why I Am Awesome: the bag totally matched my new yellow slippers.

1 comment:

  1. um, red shorts? try robot pajama pants. try pink and yellow and lime green robot pajama pants. try MY pink and yellow and lime green robot pajama pants. ahem.

    ReplyDelete