Friday, March 27, 2009

The Flyer Remained Unforwarded

Tonight I will be doing my first reading. Not that this will be the first time I've read; I've been doing that since I was 4 or 5 years old. (Or 3, if that makes me sound like a baby that would hang out with Christopher Lloyd.) Nor will this be the first time I have performed in public. I've been in plays and I've taught classes. I'm performed improv to a crowd of over a thousand people.

But this will be my first public performance-type reading of a piece that I have written. It's going to be strange to so openly and nakedly present my work. Not something that I came up with on the spot, or interpreted through someone else, or a vague lesson plan I'm trying to get through. But my words and thoughts and ideas, constructed in what I apparently think to be the best possible way to get them across.

To be honest, I feel some serious trepidation. But I know it will go fine. I'll be as excited and happy about it afterward as I was nervous beforehand. And next time, when I do one of these things, I'll have this experience to recall and bring to the table. When I go next time, I'll enjoy it more. And next time I might even tell people about it more than a few hours before it starts.

Why I Am Awesome: I've got all the voices down and the story flows nicely when I practice it. I'm gonna kill it when I get up there.

Why I Am Not Awesome: I'm still bringing out the "crowd of 1,000 people" line even though that happened almost a decade ago and they were freshmen required to be there. I need to get over myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment