Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Shadowy Flight Into The Dangerous World Of Livery Vehicles

While riding down the 5 south of Los Angeles at night, on an empty stretch of road where only headlights illuminate, I noticed a blue taxi cab. Across the trunk, in faded letters that almost looked like a whisper, was written a name: Knight Rider Taxi.

I immediately imagined myself stepping up to the front of a taxi stand and the theme song surrounding me. I saw a hack triggering oil slicks and turbo boosts to survive the freeway. I pictured rides to LAX that began with a soothing Mr. Feeney voice greeting me with, "Good morning, Michael." I wanted us to drive ahead quickly, so I could look over my shoulder to try to make out a red whoosh-whoosh "scan bar" in the front.

I didn't have the chance, though. Almost as soon as I saw it, the KITT cab turned toward an exit ramp and was gone.

Why I Am Awesome: I may have caught a fleeting glimpse at something kept secret to the general public: basically, the greatest cab in the history of all private hire vehicles.

Why I Am Not Awesome: I succumbed to Google's temptation and destroyed the illusion for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment