Sunday, March 22, 2009

Would "Detailitated" Be More Accurate?

While on the aforementioned trip to San Diego, I got to get my first experience of their world-renowned zoo. I was especially excited about going because I hoped to see at least one animal that had been on the Tonight Show. If it's been on television, it must be famous!

I, of course, had a really great time. The place is huge, and there are tons of ridiculous animals there. I saw a gorilla mom holding its baby, camels nuzzling, and something that looked like a weird half-pig/half-deer. (That may have been a holdover fever dream, though.) It's such a sprawling experience, we spent almost five hours there and somehow missed the giraffes and the elephants. And those are big animals to miss.

The two biggest highlights:

1. Seeing the cuddly panda bear wandering dope-ily around his enclosure in front of a hushed crowd of huddled spectators - and then watching him stop, look up at us, and poop. (Panda poop is bright yellow, by the way. Must be all the bamboo.)

2. The random grotesque sight of a decapitated / shedded lizard tail flopping around on the sidewalk. The stump was still bloody, and it twisted and twirled in its death throes. This was right in front of the camel enclosure, with no lizard displays around. I have no idea where it came from. (I have a video of it on my camera - when I figure out how to upload it, I'll add it here. I promise.)

Why I Am Awesome: In my continuing battle to overcome my fear of heights, I rode the somewhat rickety Skyfari with relatively little complaint. Victory will be mine.

Why I Am Not Awesome: The money I spent on ticket purchases pays for animals to be imprisoned and traded, not rescued and rehabilitated. Or so I've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment