Saturday, April 11, 2009

One Ticket, Not To Paradise

When I got back to my car after leaving class Thursday evening, I found a parking ticket on it. I found this strange, as I have a valid parking pass for the garage I was in. So, what the hell?

Turns out that I got a $50 ticket for parking over the double lines in my spot. I looked and, OK, I was technically parked over the lines. By about two and a half inches. That's about ten dollars per half inch.

The ticket also smugly (and loudly, I guess) states that "PHOTOS WERE TAKEN" of the incident. Standing in the garage, I wondered out loud if photos were taken of the white Mazda that had been parked in the spot next to mine, the one parked so crooked I had no choice but to park my car the way I did. Did that guy (or gal) get a ticket? Or am I alone paying out of pocket to cover his (or her) crappy parking job?

I was unhappy.

Why I Am Awesome: I have drafted a letter to send to the university parking department along with my check, letting them know how I feel about the situation, and stating that I look forward to the first time someone from the alumni association calls me asking for a donation to the school. I will tell them no, and I will explain that it is because I already donated fifty dollars unnecessarily to this place.

Why I Am Not Awesome: I'm only going to send the check.

2 comments:

  1. I have a story about a SC parking ticket I got this semester. It was fifty dollars, too. Too tired to explain the situation, but it wasn't amusing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten a bunch of parking tickets at SC, but that's not the point. The point is that one night after class, I had a note in my windshield. One side said:
    "Well, maybe if you got here earlier, you could park wherever you want like I did!!"
    and the other said,
    "You park like an asshole."

    ReplyDelete