Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Best Arguments For Random Sequence Generators

While driving the streets and freeways of Los Angeles in the last few months, I have seen the following California license plates:

1. "2-VETT-4-U"
This was on a Corvette. It was not a classic Corvette. A recent model whatever-style Corvette. Which means this lived up to its billing: it was, indeed, too much Corvette for me.

2. "GREG-[Heart]S-DAWN"
(Where [Heart] is an actual heart symbol. On the license plate. An official state license plate.)
That's very cute. It will be less cute when a serial killer easily lures Greg and/or Dawn into his white van by addressing them by name. Why would you want any complete stranger to immediately and without question know what to legally call you? And these aren't just any complete strangers; these are L.A.-based drivers cruising the freeways. You should guard your anonymity with complete vigilance.

3. "[Heart]S-2-Wax"
I honestly don't know if this means that this woman really enjoys her Brazilian-y job at a salon, or if she prided herself in maintaining her body follicle-free. Long shot candidate: she was in the tub yet was neither a butcher nor a baker.

4. "I-[Heart]-LRH"
I won't disparage you for being a Scientologist and following the teachings of Dr. Hubbard. (At least not publicly.) But, really, I think it's time for us to collectively re-think the idea of allowing a heart symbol on required vehicular identification tags. No good comes out of it.

Why I Am Awesome: I will never, ever have a vanity license plate.

Why I Am Not Awesome: In Massachusetts, I paid extra for special Red Sox state plates. Which is as obnoxious as having a vanity plate, but without displaying any of the latter's individual creativity.

(the following image courtesy of CALPL8S.com, a site that is not part of the solution)


3 comments:

  1. I just noticed my first [heart] the other day! I like to imagine a cop filling out a parking ticket with a little heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 could be Ralph Macchio's car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owner of the yoga place I go told me the other day that he was regretting having put the studio's name on his plates. Now he can't flip anyone off, or change lanes dangerously, or go over the speed limit.

    ReplyDelete